Submit a feature to be Backed
- "Should we accept Bitcoin?" — Jessie, online retailer
- "Should we build an Android app?" — Robin, software engineer
- "Should we build an API for [feature x]?" — Casey, product manager
It's hard for software makers to gauge the market size for a hypothetical new feature. Running a poll or doing informal research can easily lead to false positives — thus wasted time and effort. So we decided to build a simple service, called Backer, that any developer can use.
A Backer crowdfunding page corresponds to a single feature or service, created by the people who are responsible for building it. It's up to that team to decide what feature to hypothetically build and what financial commitment they'd like to see in order to build it.
Backer in Action
See your Favd photos in Relay. Commit to make it happen.
Should Polls optimize for mobile?
Should we port AeroPress Timer to Android?
Should Toodledo Improve its Android App?
Should Thinkful teach a class on Angular?
Clyde the Cyclops Poster
Pre-order yours today so you can put Clyde on your wall
Should J&M Lab build Plink for App.net?
Order your limited edition App.net Poster today.
Want to try out Backer for yourself?
- You don't have to integrate App.net APIs to use Backer.
- You can choose to accept payment via credit cards, Bitcoin, or both.
- We handle the entire process on a turn-key basis. If the project is successful, App.net sends the money to the project owner. If the project is not successful, the project owner has no further obligation or work to do.
- Successful open source Backer projects are not charged a fee. Successful proprietary Backer projects will be charged a 5% fee. Unsuccessful Backer campaigns incur no fees.
- Backer passes through any credit card processing fees incurred. Bitcoin transactions are processed free of charge.
- In other words, successful open source Backer projects will receive 100% of committed Bitcoin funds.
- We'll keep you in good company. Projects will be vetted to ensure your Backer project runs alongside other high-quality, legitimate projects.
- App.net staff will help out developers launching a new Backer by offering tips about best practices, setting up the project description, as well as help with marketing and awareness.